Brick Masonry Techniques Part II
New Home Construction
- Twenty-two gauge galvanized steel
- Eight-penny cement coated nail to fasten; nail within one half inch of bend
- Cover half of brick with wall tie; back 5/8” from face to prevent staining
- One wall tie per 2.67 square feet
- Modular: one wall tie every 6th course; sixteen inches vertically
- Every sixteen inches vertically & horizontally
- Only with wood stud framing and 1“ air space (Max & Min)
- Weep hole every sixteen inches recommended by Brick Industry Association.
- Open head joint or cell vent for weep hole at base of wall
MORTAR NETTING DEVICES
- Prevent excess mortar from blocking weep holes
- Prevent excess mortar from forming a bridge to allow water to penetrate the wall
- Fifteen pound felt satisfies code in Southeast; please check your local code for complete details.
- Overlap flashing with house wrap by two inches
- Overlap house wrap by six inches with each roll
Stay tuned for Part III where we discuss the importance of flashing around building openings.